tisdag 7 juni 2011

How it started, part 2

They had been talking about how odd the weather was behaving. How there was an unusual number of storms in most parts of the world. Other things were odd too. There were too many volcanoes erupting, too many earth quakes and too much raining. Too much of everything I suppose. Humans too. We were everywhere. Now I don't know anymore.
I was on vacation in the Swedish Empire when the Panic Days started. It may seem like a weird place to visit with that political climate, but I had never been there before though I had wanted to for some time. So I decided to go. It was not the end of the world, right? Oh, how wrong I was.
The first two days were fine and I really enjoyed myself, even under the strict watch of all the soldiers who patrolled the streets. But on the third day things changed. I, who thought I would be safe from earth quakes in the northern parts of Europe, woke up to the whole hotel shaking. I stumbled out of bed, as did everyone else I suppose, grabbed my things and hurried out on the street. I had seen, or rather felt, earth quakes before and I did not want to stay in that house during one. It was clear that it was not built to withstand something like that. Some followed me out but some didn't. I tried to get people out but when the building collapsed there was nothing I could do. I hope that they at least got a quick death.
This, however, is what I think cause The Sickness. I think that some lab somewhere was damaged in that earth quake and that that is why The Sickness was let loose. But I don't know. Like I said, no one knows.
Already the same night came the first reports of people getting sick, though no one seemed to know what kind of sickness it was. The next day thousands had already did and millions had become sick. The Sickness spread over the whole world. And it spread fast. Within three days it was everywhere and it seemed like everyone who came into contact with it got sick and died within a day.
The few who didn't get sic right away panicked of course. And so did I. I managed to get on a train on the forth day though I had no idea where I should go. Where would I be safe? Was there any place at all which was safe? I didn't really care. I just wanted to get away. People died on the train too. People died everywhere and when the man driving the train also died there were nothing we could do but walk and follow the tracks to the next town. Out of all the people who had gotten on that train in the first place I was one of three who made it to that town.
By this point I didn't know where I was anymore. There were signs of course but I hadn't even tried to learn the geography of the Swedish Empire. It was too much for me to even consider trying, but who cared. It didn't really matter where I was. People died all around me and I was terrified.
I stole food from an abandoned store and slept in the station house hoping that another train would come to take me away but no train came. When the morning came the station was full of corpses of other people also hoping for that train. I left.
I followed the road out of town. I walked for a whole day and every twon and village I passed were the same. Empty except for the corpses lying in the streets and in teh houses and everywhere. I saw few people and none that had the courage to talk. I guess it didn't matter. I didn't have the courage to talk to them either. Though by now I was really wondering why I was not sick too. And I couldn't really decide on what seemed worst. Dying or living in a world were everyone else were dead.

Nathan, headquarter, May 28th

Inga kommentarer: